Legal Hotline: Movers' Advertising

  • Jul 13, 2017

Melissa Melewsky, Media Law Counsel

Q: Are movers required to be licensed by the PUC, and if so, do they have to include their license number in advertisements?

 A:  Yes and yes.

Household goods movers operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission and must maintain adequate levels of insurance coverage, pursuant to the Public Utility Code and corresponding regulations. 

PUC regulations also require household goods movers to include their PUC certificate number as part of all advertisements for intrastate services. The regulations do not define the size, placement or other physical requirements for the license disclosure, but PNA recommends the certificate number be clear and conspicuous in relation to the ad copy.

The license disclosure requirement is a consumer protection tool that allows the public to make an informed decision about which moving company to utilize. The PUC also provides advice to the public on how to select a moving company and also maintains a list of licensed movers on its website. Advertisers with questions about compliance and readers with complaints about moving companies should be referred to the Public Utility Commission

As always, this is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, legal advice. Please contact the PNA Legal Hotline at (717) 703-3080 with questions.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Contact Us  |  3899 North Front Street, Harrisburg PA 17110  |  Phone: (717) 703-3000  |  Fax: (717) 703-3001