Calkins Media is a family-owned media company with television broadcasting, newspaper publishing and digital operations in the Northeast and Southeast.
During the last three years, the company’s newspaper operations in Philadelphia have developed significant capabilities in its video news and entertainment creation.
The company has developed these resources through a combination of internal news and technology leadership and external expertise.
The newsrooms are led by Patricia Walker, an experienced journalist who directs local coverage for the tri-county communities served by: The Bucks County Courier Times, The Burlington County Times and The Intelligencer. These three newspapers in the suburban Philadelphia area represent the second-largest newspaper operation in the metro market. The Calkins Philadelphia news operations have more than 100 full-time employees engaged in news gathering and content creation for a variety of audiences.
The company has engaged with two external resources as well.
Calkins has an ongoing relationship with Professor Drew Berry—a long-time television broadcaster and former head of the National Association of Black Journalists. Berry has focused on the one-on-one training of all of our journalists with an aim to increase both the quantity and quality of local news packages.
Calkins also has a long-term relationship with James Andrew Miller. Mr. Miller has worked to create a variety of news and entertainment shows leveraging the local expertise. Miller is a nationally-known author of several books relating to the television business as well as Congress and is the former producer of several national news shows including Anderson Cooper and Paul Zahn. Miller has a deep background in television news production.
Calkins Media has spent the past three years developing and creating award-winning, high quality content. This has been supported by strong advertising sales and production under the leadership of Mike Jameson, Deanna Fox and Dave Dubnanski.
Calkins has the largest local video newsgathering operation in the markets we serve and is poised to engage in substantive discussions with potential video distribution partners.
We believe that the company can create significant value by developing new streams of revenue through collaboration with video distribution partners such as MVPDs, local broadcast stations and other sources.
The company has the ability to create OTT products, to deliver linear channels to a variety of partners.
Calkins is looking for a leader to cultivate and manage our relationships with external content distribution partners and maximize the full value of our rich video content.
The successful person must possess a variety of skills, including:
- Past experience in creating content distribution deals with a variety of providers
- Past evidence of entrepreneurial experience and action
- The ability to work across department boundaries with instant trust and credibility
- Knowledge of broadcast legal issues
- Experience with start-ups a plus
- Prior project management experience in legacy or digital organizations a plus
- Knowledge of technology and engineering issues
- Ability to formulate business models through internal discussions and through discussions with external partners
- Ability to oversee the execution of legal documents to put these into action.
- Excellent communication skills with a variety of constituencies including senior level leaders, external consultants and front-line employees
- Be accessible to all parties with short notice at our Philadelphia headquarters in Levittown
- Be able to create schedules, deadlines and deliverables across departments
- Have a visceral aversion and distaste for office politics and gossip
The company will consider candidates to engage with us on a contractor basis or as an employee depending on the backgrounds/desires of the candidate.
Contact Mark G. Contreras, Chief Executive Officer, Calkins Media Incorporated, 8400 Bristol Pike, Levittown, PA 19057. Email is email@example.com; phone is 215 949-4016.
An Equal Opportunity Employer