This key position in the newsroom will lead and manage the charge to make sure we are providing the news, information, and engagement our readers and audience need, want, and value. The position oversees the teams responsible for local news, enterprise, and sports.
The ability to coach, help create a learning culture, generate enthusiasm and set high standards are critical. In addition, this position must collaborate with the Visual, Print and Digital editors to present news and information in a well-designed, thoughtful, and reasoned manner using all the print and digital tools available.
The Content Editor must ensure the teams think like the Digital and Print audience. Essential Job Functions:
• Perform all management and leadership responsibilities associated with the Newsroom. Responsibilities include hiring, motivating, coaching, appraising, rewarding and disciplining, and addressing complaints and resolving issues of the employees.
• Supervise and facilitate the work of Local News, Enterprise, and Sports editors on content development that is fair, balanced, accurate, compelling, and makes a difference in the communities we serve.
• Work in tandem with the Print, Digital and Visual editors in using expertise and good judgment in assigning the most appropriate content formats for the medium and to fully embrace community engagement.
• Edit copy and write headlines/captions as needed.
• Attend daily morning and afternoon content meetings.
• Use metrics/analytics to inform decisions on content assignments and placement across platforms.
• Foster a newsroom work environment that champions excellent journalism, collaboration, creativity, teamwork and the sense of joy, fun and enthusiasm inherent in them all.
In addition to the essential functions listed above, the employee is expected to exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, respect the work environment and keep it as neat and clean as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. The employee is also expected to perform other similar duties and functions as required from time to time. Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, related field or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years’ experience in administration and management in a newsroom environment.
• Excellent writing, editing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Proven ability to lead a team.
• Previous experience overseeing and directing collaborative efforts between teams.
• Experience using wire services and publishing systems for all platforms.
• Fluency in Web and social media technology.
• Thorough familiarity with journalism and libel law.
• Ability to work and collaborate in a mixed-media team environment, to multitask in a deadline-driven newsroom and to adapt constructively and creatively to change.
• A firm grasp of current events particularly as they relate to LNP's Lancaster County-area audience.
• A keen interest in and knowledge of LNP competitors.
Excellent benefits include a positive work environment on a non-smoking campus in the heart of downtown Lancaster near Central Market with free parking; plus an excellent salary, medical/dental/vision/Rx insurance, paid vacation and holidays, and a 401k plan.
FOR CONSIDERATION, PLEASE COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION at http://steinmancommunications.acquiretm.com
Only online applications will be considered for this position.