The North Carolina Press Association has a great opportunity for a new executive director to lead our 143-year-old organization into the next phase of its history. Our ideal candidate will be able to manage the day-to day, plan and develop strategy, sell the organization's benefits and services, work with the state legislature, and work closely with a talented staff. This is a hands-on job with giant rewards for the right person. To send a resume for consideration, please email Pat Taylor, NCPA president, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chief executive responsible for operation of the association and its wholly owned advertising subsidiary, North Carolina Press Services.
• Reports directly to NCPA/NCPS Board of Directors, directly manages all NCPA/S staff
• Hires and trains all staff, (advertising, administrative and member services), sets goals and compensation in consultation with the executive committee. Assess and address training needs for staff
• Works to foster strong communication among the departments within the association and its members. Ex-officio on all NCPA/S committees.
• With the NCPA/S board, helps develop a vision for the association that will drive delivery of relevant member services.
• Develops departmental revenue and expense budgets and structures the association for maximum productivity.
• Primary spokesperson for newspaper industry in North Carolina Represents NCPA/S in public appearances, statements, speeches, etc. Represent NCPA as member of NC Open Government Coalition and NC Eastern Press Association.
• Outreach to j-schools, boards, commissions, and professional organizations
• Working with the controller, acts as chief administrative liaison to NCPF; oversees administration of the NCPF tourism ad placement program and acts as chief liaison with state in maintaining that annual program
• Oversee accounting functions for both organizations,
• Works with the marketing director and member services director to promote and market the association in the state.
• Reconciles credit card transactions for both NCPA and NCPS.
• Tracks vacation and leave hours
• Prepares for and assist outside CPA firm with yearly audit.
• Assist in planning annual conference, contest, board of directors meetings; oversee hotel visits and event contracts
• Chief executive in charge of working with legislative liaison to further our legislative agenda, assist in lobbying duties and alert members to major legislative bills, issues, hearings.
• Stays up to date with current bills, and participates in strategy formation on them.
Revenue and sales duties
• Works directly with potential advertising clients to assess needs-based solutions.
• Works with the staff and member representatives in developing new products and sources of revenue for both members and the association
• Works directly with staff on quotes, fulfillment plans, contacts with participating newspapers
• Makes presentations to clients and members on various services and opportunities available.
• Ensures accurate billings for advertising placements through NCPS.
• Ensures processing of payments to newspapers and other states in a timely manner
• Monitors accounts receivable and accounts payable
• Ensures review of credit applications.
• Ensures collection of past due accounts.
• Ensure backups and protection of financial data.
• Ensure production of aging reports for statewide, 2x2 and online networks and for display advertising.
• Make monthly financial report at staff meeting.
Other duties specified by the board of directors
Compensation will be on a salary basis with a typical 40-hour work week.Apply Here