FULL-TIME EDUCATION REPORTER
LNP Media Group, Inc., a Steinman Communications brand -is an innovative, multi-channel communications company that delivers high quality news, information, and entertainment to diverse audiences while providing significant value to our marketing and advertising partners.
This is a digital-first organization that aims to be the first and best provider of Education news that Lancaster County residents want and need, across all platforms, including LNP, LancasterOnline.com and other associated products, in a constantly evolving news environment. Reporters must think like our audience in all that they do, both digitally and in print. Our Education reporters will work aggressively to help us break from the past and our traditional ways of doing things in the print world. The newsroom as a whole will find new ways to cover events, write features and analysis, and dig into enterprise -- in ways that best serve today’s readers and best employ all of the tools at our disposal in the realm of digital storytelling.
Under the direction of an Assistant Content Editor, the Education Reporter will function as an expert and authoritative voice on a specific topic of importance to our Lancaster County audience. Specific beats and areas of focus will be determined by newsroom leadership. Education reporters are expected to collaborate as a team and to provide content outside of their regular areas of expertise, as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
· Will use all available tools, traditional and digital, to generate accurate, timely and compelling local content for our audiences
· Will work with a digital-first mentality at all times
· Will keep us at the leading edge of online, mobile and social-network use and innovation
· Will have a strong social-media presence, which includes not just posting content, but engaging regularly with our audience on social media
· Will take part in live online chats and podcasts on a regular basis
· Will take responsibility for photos to accompany every story, either by frequently taking those photos themselves or by submitting detailed photo assignments in advance, in consultation with an editor
· Will be able to shoot, edit and post video on specified platforms
· Will take responsibility for his or her own content, in terms of posting it online and subsequently being an aggressive marketer of that content across all relevant platforms. We need to be deliberate at all times about getting information in from of the audiences that want to see it.
· Will make sure that beat coverage reflects all of the diversity of cultures in Lancaster County
· Will bring expertise and a network of sources to their beat, and will regularly aggregate content in their beat areas
· Will meet all deadlines
· May be asked to assist the editorial department with copy editing, the processing of local content and other editorial needs at times.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is preferred
· Excellent writing, editing and interpersonal communication skills
· Fluency in Web and social media technology
· Ability to work and collaborate in a mixed-media team environment, to multi-task in a deadline-driven newsroom and to adapt constructively and creatively to change
· Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
· Proficiency using PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet and video equipment Working Conditions:
· Preference is for journalists to work from a “mobile office” as much as reasonably possible, to better enable constant newsgathering and engage with a wider variety of members of the Lancaster County community. Some office work, as necessary. Schedule as assigned by department manager. On call to respond to news developments at other hours. Must be able to reach office in all weather conditions.
For our team members, a solid benefit package awaits, including access to Medical, Dental, Vision, & Rx available the first of the month after hire; Free downtown parking (Central Parking Garage); paid vacation and access to 401k after 90 days.