Business & Finance Reporter, LNP (Lancaster)
Business & Finance Reporter, LNP (Lancaster)
Location: Lancaster, PA
The Business & Finance Reporter, working under the direction of the Money & Work Team Leader, is a proven, experienced journalist who specializes in writing about investing, retirement planning, consumer-finance trends, municipal finance and government borrowing. The Business & Finance Reporter is skilled at explaining complex fiscal issues such as bond swaps and municipal debt in ways that are easily understood by lay readers so that they are able to be more engaged, and more informed, citizens.
The Business & Finance Reporter breaks hard news and develops informative and entertaining enterprise stories for digital and print audiences; is aware of local, regional and national business and economic trends and possesses the ability to assess the local impact of those trends; has experience or training in or comfort with data, statistics, economics, business and accounting; sources data and public records but writes about people – about the issues and the policies that affect their lives.
Reporters for LNP Media Group exercise strong news judgment and news-gathering capabilities to provide up-to-the-minute information across the company’s digital platforms and insightful, contextual and analytical journalism for LNP and LancasterOnline. Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP and LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organization’s audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.
- Organizes materials, determines focus and writes stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards, both for the newspaper and online.
- Makes use of all available tools to generate accurate, timely and compelling content and may be required to do so with a digital-first mentality; with attention to both detail and deadlines.
- Builds expertise in a particular beat through research, experience and growing a network of relevant contacts in the community.
- Regularly curates and aggregates content from other sources and presents them to our audience with additional commentary or explanation.
Digital & social media
- Understands the needs and interests of both digital and print audiences.
- Tracks metrics and conversations on the materials they’ve created to optimize results and shape future work toward that audience.
- Strives to keep our organization at the leading edge of online, mobile and social-network use and innovation.
- Actively builds a social media presence, which includes not just posting content, but also engaging with our audience.
- Thinks visually as well as verbally: Takes photos and shoots/edits video to accompany stories as needed.
- Takes responsibility for his or her own content, in terms of posting it online and subsequently being an aggressive marketer of that content across all relevant platforms.
In addition to the essential functions listed above, the employee is expected to exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, preserve confidentially of all business information and data, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, respect the work environment and keep it as environmentally friendly as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. Reliable attendance and punctuality are also required.
The employee is also expected to perform other related duties, special projects and functions as required from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, mass communications or related field is required, with a proven knowledge and experience working with current media creation tools and contemporary newsroom systems, producing digital and print content, preferred.
- May be required to meet AP writing style, depending on the publication.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Team player who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
- Wishes to work in a business environment in which every employee seeks to be great every day.
- Required to use a computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion.
- Proficient use of PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, photo/video equipment
- Ability to travel to events or venues for stories.
- Ability to work nights or weekends on occasion.
Reasonable accommodations for disability:
Any employee, who believes that a reasonable accommodation s required for purposes of federal or state disability law is required to contact Human Resources to begin the interactive exchange process.