Digital Producer – 90.5 WESA
Digital Producer – 90.5 WESA
The WESA digital news team is hiring a digital producer to elevate and amplify the work of WESA’s newsroom through the use of our website, newsletters, social media, photography/videography and original reporting. The producer will be part of the small — but mighty! — three-member digital news team, reporting to the director of digital news initiatives.
- Serve as a digital co-lead for WESA’s website and social media, overseeing publication and promotion of local, regional, and national stories to inform and engage our audience.
- Copy-edit digital stories by WESA reporters and editors, following AP/NPR style.
- Post and upload multimedia (text, vide, images, etc.) content to wesa.fm, all station -owned platforms, and station social accounts.
- Assist editors and reporters in writing web-, SEO-, and social-friendly headlines and visual presentation of stories.
- Co-write WESA newsletters.
- Report breaking news stories for web and broadcast.
- Create social media content for the WESA brand.
- Leverage web analytics to understand and promote trending stories.
- Track open rates, engagement and other metrics associated with newsletters and social media posts.
- Use audience trends and analytics to increase social and digital engagement for WESA content.
- Work with NPR Digital Services to resolve bugs/outages.
- Work during off hours and weekends as needed to respond to emergent issues/breaking news.
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising as needed.
- Advance the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals of the newsroom.
- Make public appearances as opportunity arises to enhance WESA’s brand.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills.
- Strong digital and social media skills.
- Sound and ethical news judgment.
- Experience covering Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania is a plus.
- Photography, videography and data visualization skills are a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary.
- Able to work independently and as a collaborative and productive team member.
- 4 years of journalism experience or Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field.
- One or more years of digital reporting/producing in a professional newsroom.
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings.
- Enthusiasm for the missions of PCBC and its stations.
Who Are We?
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is a team full of passionate and fun people dedicated to our crafts as well as our communities. Our organization plays a critical role in building connections across southwestern Pennsylvania and strengthening our communities – and WESA’s journalism and a relentless focus on the issues that matter are just two of the ways in which we work to inform and engage our communities.
We operate two local public radio stations and a local newsroom that serves the community across radio, digital and event platforms. 90.5 WESA is Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station and WESA News is an award winning, dynamic and ambitious newsroom serving southwestern Pennsylvania over-the-air, online and through our daily newsletter, Inbox Edition. 91.3 WYEP is one of the most highly regarded non-commercial Triple-A music stations in the country and has been a cultural institution in Pittsburgh for almost 50 years. With a combined weekly listenership of more than 153,000 people and more than 60,000 social media followers, this is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced digital producer to help PCBC continue to grow.
What’s it like working at PCBC?
The range for compensation is $46,000-$59,800. As a full-time exempt employee, you get access to PCBC’s benefits package, including our retirement plan (with a match of up to 6%!), medical, dental and vision, three weeks of vacation, sick time, 10 company holidays and 8 weeks of paid new parent leave. We also offer paid parking, which is helpful when we can all get back into the office. PCBC invests in our professional growth and encourages continuing education and participation in conferences and seminars.
We place a high priority on employee safety and well-being; given the current COVID-19 pandemic, some employees continue to work primarily at the Community Broadcast Center — our headquarters in the heart of Pittsburgh’s historic South Side — and others have maintained a hybrid approach with much of the work being done remotely. PCBC is working on a plan for the future of how we work together in a post pandemic world.
PCBC is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Want to know more?
Visit our careers page to get more details and to apply. We’d love to hear from you!