Editor – Bucks County Herald
Editor – Bucks County Herald
The Bucks County Herald is looking for an Editor to lead its award-winning news organization.
The Editor is the face of the Bucks County Herald, the person who creates, assigns, and oversees the content of Herald publications. The sets the moral and social tone of the publications, and hires the writers, reporters and other employees needed to produce them. The also plans budgets and negotiates contracts with freelance journalists.
The Herald is expanding to provide the most coverage of local news for all residents of Bucks County through digital and print platforms. The company is focused on growing digital engagement as well as the distribution footprint of all its printed products. Strong emphasis is placed on engagement of communities in underserved areas of Bucks County and Hunterdon County, NJ.
Founded in 2002, the Herald is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit community news organization. It is owned by the Bucks County Herald Foundation and serves as the community hub for its readers and countless nonprofit organizations, government, businesses, schools, the arts, and culture. The Herald is the largest locally owned and trusted media organization in Bucks County and surrounding communities.
The Editor reports to the publisher.
- Oversight of all digital and print activities in a busy
- Active engagement with local business, arts, and cultural organizations.
- Attending public facing community activities and events.
- Meeting with and listening to community members and leaders.
- Participating in and supporting mission and fundraising activities of the Bucks County Herald Foundation.
- Leading and growing digital and print engagement to cover existing and underserved communities.
- Expanding the newsroom to provide digital content that engages and grows digital readership through newsletters and other digital platforms.
- Adherence to journalism best practices, assigning coverage and monitoring the performance of editors, freelance writers, and photographers.
- Planning and creating highly shareable editorial content for all Herald publications.
- Strategically planning coverage of local government, school boards and elections.
- Collaborating with key nonprofit organizations for coverage of public interest initiatives and events.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years working as a journalist.
- 5+ years newsroom management experience.
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills using AP style.
- Experience with online platforms and SEO.
- Experience with setting and meeting budgets.
- Contextual experience integrating American and local history into coverage and content.
- Experience tuning in to the pulse of the community.
- Experience with initiating and leading change.
The Editor recognizes that it is a privilege to be the voice of the local community. The Herald and its publications are growing and expanding into underserved areas of Bucks and surrounding counties. The position is an opportunity for professional growth and a highly rewarding career.
If you are interested in the position, please tell us why, and include your resume, salary requirements and references. Send to Joe Wingert, Publisher at email@example.com.