Foundation Fellows Grants
The PNA Foundation Fellows Fund for the Future has set aside money for journalism grants to be used by news companies to start new initiatives or enhance current projects. Grant funds can be used for hiring correspondents, purchasing equipment and providing staff training as well as other project expenses. Grants may be used to fund part or all of a project, but should not be used to offset the cost of day to day operations.
$200 – $1,500
2021 Application Deadline
2021 Awards Announced
Questions can be directed to Melinda Condon at email@example.com or (717) 703-3002.
*The Foundation Fellows Grant Committee reserves the right to award no grants and to adjust monies awarded based upon determination of need. Incomplete grant applications will be disqualified from consideration.
The PNA Foundation Fellows Fund for the Future exists to advance the mission of the Foundation, meeting critical needs and enhancing opportunities for industry professionals and students. Through the annual support of Sustaining Fellows, monies are designated for special programming and projects. The official registration and financial information of the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association Foundation may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.
The PNA Foundation is happy to announce its 2020 Foundation Fellows Grants recipients. The selection committee of the PNA Foundation Board of Trustees awarded grants to four PNA members.
- The Centre Daily Times was awarded $1,500 to enhance their Penn State Football podcast, “Airing It Out,” while expanding their audience and driving digital subscriptions.
- The Chestnut Hill Local received $1,500 to help in the creation of a new publication focusing on the Wissahickon area reaching out to an extended audience and appealing to additional advertisers.
- PublicSource earned a $1,500 grant to support reporting for the Open Campus initiative, providing targeted and in-depth coverage of higher education institutions and trends.
- Tioga Publishing received $1,500 to enhance their podcast “What We Hear in the Northern Tier,” improving their online presence and connections with weekly newspapers’ audiences.
In December 2019, the PNA Foundation announced its first-ever Foundation Fellows Grants recipients. The selection committee of the PNA Foundation Board of Trustees awarded grants to PNA members PublicSource, Pittsburgh, and Tioga Publishing Company, Wellsboro.
- PublicSource earned a $1,500 grant to support a new POWER MAP project that will provide residents of Allegheny County with a searchable database of taxpayer-funded boards, authorities and commissions.
- Tioga Publishing received $700 to assist in creating a podcast to stay connected with their weekly newspapers’ audiences.
Foundation Fellows Fund
In 1991, the board of directors of the then-named Pennsylvania Newspaper Publishers’ Association Foundation established a Fellows Fund to advance press freedoms, improve journalism education, promote the public’s “right to know” and further the cause of literacy in Pennsylvania. The Fellows funds supported the overall mission of the Foundation while earmarking dollars for specific programs that included student and adviser internships and educational excursions. In 2012, we reignited the spirit of giving through an expanded and multi-tiered Fellows program of support. A Fund for the Future. A commitment to the future.
For more information on what Fellows monies support and how to become a Fellow, visit our Fellows page.